MIXED GREEN SALAD TOPPED WITH CRISPY SALMON
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4+ cups lettuce – spring mix or other soft lettuce
- 1 kirby cucumber or ¼ English hothouse cucumber
- 1 roasted red pepper, cut into strips
- 8 Kalamata olives or green olives, halved
- 8 cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ avocado, cubed — see ins & outs: How to Cube an Avocado
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¾ lb. salmon filet with skin, cut lengthwise into two pieces
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small garlic clove
Whenever you’re frying something, make sure it’s totally dry before you put it in the pan, especially if you’re expecting a crispy exterior. Another piece of advice — don’t overcrowd your pan when frying — fry in two or three batches if you have to. If you crowd the pan, you will steam the food because you’re preventing air circulation and again, you won’t have a crispy exterior.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Make the dressing: in a small bowl, mix together the first six ingredients.
Divide the lettuce among two dinner plates (or you can use big bowls if you prefer). Artfully place the next six ingredients on top of the lettuce.
Heat the olive oil in a medium sized (10-inch) oven proof skillet over medium heat. Test to make sure the oil is hot by flicking a little water in the pan. If it sizzles, you’re ready.
Place salmon, flesh side down, in the skillet and cook for 2 minutes.
Gently flip the fish so the skin side is down and cook for another minute.
7.Place the skillet in the oven and cook for another 7 minutes.
8.While the fish is cooking, place the butter in a small dish or ramekin. Press the garlic clove through a garlic press on top of the butter. Heat in the microwave for about 40-50 seconds to melt the butter, checking after about 20 seconds to make sure the butter doesn’t explode.Since microwaves vary in strength, you need to be vigilant.
9. As soon as you take the fish out of the oven, spoon about a little bit of the garlic butter over the top of the salmon. You will have more butter than you need, so just refrigerate it and use it again on fish.
10.Place the salmon on top of the salad and drizzle the dressing over the salad. You might have a little extra dressing.
11.Serve immediately while the salmon skin is crispy. If you wait, it will get soggy from being in contact with the lettuce.
Grocery Bag: Mixed Green Salad Topped With Crispy Salmon